Uruguay has announced the dismissal of a navy commander with the United Nations mission in Haiti after a video was circulated of an alleged sexual assault on a young Haitian man by members of a Uruguayan peacekeeping unit.
The defence ministry said on Sunday in a statement that it had begun a "repatriation of the troops involved" in the incident.
In addition to the dismissal of the navy commander - who was not immediately named - a military justice board had been convened and paperwork was started to arrange for the return home of the five soldiers allegedly involved.
"The navy wants to go beyond the simple fact of the video [to determine] if there are other violations of conduct," Sergio Bique, the spokesman, told local media. The suspects will be tried and sentenced appropriately, he stressed.
Comments powered by Disqus
UN peacekeeping force to stay in Haiti Hates Crimes U.S.A Racist MALCOLM X PREDICTED THE OBAMA PRESIDENCY Malcom X human rights abuse U.S.A Sept. 11 is a joke Haiti Miami Herald News Haitien Con Judge in Ohio Vodou Music community web New United Nation Wikileaks Yele Communities Sweet Micky at U.N. On Vodou Hugo Chavez police Haitian Leaders Vodou September 11 [More]